One of my hubby’s favorite sweets is Blueberry Boy Bait. I didn’t catch him with it though, so I can’t testify to its effectiveness in catching boys. If you have caught one, it’s guaranteed to keep him coming back for more. You can make this with fresh or frozen blueberries. In the pictures below, I used frozen blueberries but once those delicious blue gems ripen this summer, I’ll be making this with fresh blueberries.
Begin by combining the dry ingredients (making sure to reserve 1/4 c raw sugar for the topping)
In a separate bowl, beat together the sugars and butter until light and fluffy. This takes a few minutes, but it is actually an important part of getting rise out of your baked goods.
Creaming is one of the most important mixing methods used in the entire recipe. It incorporates the maximum amount of air bubbles created by dry crystalline sugar, typically granulated white table or super-fine, or brown sugar, beaten with plastic solid fat (stick butter or margarine, shortening or lard), so a recipe will rise in the oven and be light in texture when baked. The cake rises from these air bubbles expanding from the heat of the oven, steam generated from the liquid ingredients and from carbon dioxide generated from the chemical leaveners or baking powder and/or baking soda.
Next, add eggs and vanilla and beat until well combined.
Gently fold 1 cup blueberries into batter.
This batter is very thick, not like cake batter. Don’t be alarmed! Just spread it out in the pan evenly.
In a small bowl, combine remaining sugar and cinnamon. Toss remaining 1/2 cup blueberries in mixture and sprinkle evenly over top of batter.
Bake in preheated oven for 40-60 minutes or until it passes the Toothpick Test. My oven needed just a bit longer than 45 minutes to get it completely baked.
Serve with ice cream, or have it for breakfast with your mother in law and coffee!
- 1 c all purpose gluten free flour
- ½ tsp xanthan gum (leave out if your flour blend already contains it)
- 1 c freshly ground oat flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 Tbs aluminum free baking powder
- ¾ c packed brown sugar or sucanat
- ½ c raw sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 c softened butter (2 sticks)
- 1 c whole milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1½ c blueberries, separated
- 1 heaping tsp cinnamon
- ¼ c raw sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a 9" x 13" baking dish.
- Combine flours, salt and baking powder (adding xanthan gum if necessary)
- In a separate bowl, beat together the butter, brown sugar/sucanat and raw sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs and vanilla and beat until batter is smooth
- Add milk and half the flour mixture, beat until mixed well
- Add the remaining flour, beat until mixed well
- Gently fold in 1 cup of blueberries
- Pour and spread batter into prepared dish
- Evenly sprinkle remaining blueberries on top
- Combine remaining sugar with cinnamon and sprinkle evenly over batter and blueberries
- Bake for 40-60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean
- Serve warm with ice cream and coffee, or room temperature. Really, it's good at any temperature. Just eat it!