One of my favorite treats when I was growing up, was Banana Nut Bread. My mother would not allow sugary treats in the house, but I was allowed to make Banana Nut Bread…..and Christmas Cookies. So whenever there were ripe bananas around, I was ready to snatch them up and start baking!
When I was very young, I refused to eat nuts. Muffins, cookies, and breads needed to be smooth and non-crunchy. By High School, I was over that phobia and now I wouldn’t even consider making this bread without chopped pecans. Kids are strange. 😉
My favorite part is the top. The sugar caramelizes, and creates a crunchy, sweet crust. Delicious!!
Now that I am an adult, I have also outgrown the habit of using all-purpose flour to make this delicious bread. That’s right, I now make this bread with whole wheat flour. I did not change any of the other ingredients, but I did add ground flax meal for a little health boost. There is still the same amount of sugar, but it is raw sugar. Salad oil has been replaced with Safflower oil, and whole milk has been replaced with coconut milk. That makes this bread dairy and soy-free!
I started by grinding my whole wheat berries…..
Into the perfect whole wheat flour…..
I am having so much fun playing with my Grain Mill, and I love the fact that I am feeding my family healthier baked goods! Just imagine coming home from school, and finding this delicious bread sitting on the kitchen counter!
Or waking up in the morning to Banana Nut Bread French Toast. 😉
- 2½ cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup raw sugar
- 1 Tablespoon ground flax meal
- 3½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 3 Tablespoons safflower oil
- 1 cup coconut milk (the kind in a box)
- 1 large organic egg
- 1 cup mashed bananas (2 to 3 medium)
- 1 cup finely chopped pecans
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray a 9 x 5 x 3 inch loaf pan with cooking spray, set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, salt, flax meal, baking powder.
- Whisk in the milk, egg, and oil until well combined.
- Stir in the mashed bananas and chopped nuts.
- Pour into the prepared loaf pan.
- Bake for 55 to 60 minutes, until golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and place on a wire cooling rack.
- Cool completely before serving.