I’ve been making an adapted version of this gluten-free muffin recipe from Happy Mothering for over 5 months now. I love it, but this Grain Mill Wagon Challenge has really pushed me to experiment with freshly ground flours, and other (gluten-free) ingredients to change things up a bit. I’ve never used brown rice flour so much and I had never used tapioca flour until recently! With this particular recipe I branched out from my usual almond meal base, added blueberries, changed up some measurements, and added a sweet topping for good measure! This recipe was not only adapted from Happy Mothering, but also inspired by Gluten Free Goddess’ Gluten-Free Blueberry Muffins with Almond Flour recipe. I recommend checking out her other recipes too!
- 3 eggs
- 1 Ripe Banana, smooshed (medium-large size)
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla
- 1/3 Cup Maple Syrup
- 1 1/4 Cups Almond Meal
- 1/2 Cup Brown Rice Flour (Freshly Ground)
- 1/4 Cup Potato Starch
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Pumpkin Pie Spices mix (cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, ginger, mace and cloves)
- 4 oz. Fresh Blueberries, rinsed and patted dry
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons Softened Butter
- 3 Tablespoons Brown Rice Flour (Freshly Ground)
- 3 Tablespoons Brown Sugar
1) Preheat oven to 350°F. Using a stand mixer, mix together the eggs, banana, vanilla and maple syrup.
2) In a separate bowl, combine the almond meal, brown rice flour, potato starch, baking soda, baking powder, salt and pumpkin pie spice. Slowly add this flour blend to the wet ingredients while mixing on low, until combined.
3) Place 9 baking cups into a muffin pan. Pour batter just 1/3 of the way into each one. Add 4-5 blueberries by hand (this ensures even blueberry placement and consistency, and also helps avoid a messy clump of blueberries while eating! They don’t really sink). Fill up the remainder of each baking cup almost to the top. Add 4-5 more blueberries by hand to the top of each.
5) Bake for 20–22 minutes. Take muffins out of tin as soon as possible to avoid getting soggy.
Makes approximately 9 muffins. Enjoy!