How many of you love a good carrot cake?
I know my Daddio does.
The last time he stayed with us… his birthday was just around the corner. I knew his favorite cake is carrot cake. So, I decided to try making the cake with sourdough.
It was a lip-smacking success!
Using freshly ground wheat and a bubbly sourdough. Adding in shredded carrots, chunks of pineapple, flakes of coconut, pieces of raisins and bits of crunchy nuts. This cake is healthy with all it’s yummy sweetness and delicious sourdough tang!
Not only is it a delicious dessert, but it is also great for breakfast or as a snack with a good cup of joe.
Top this cake with your choice of frosting… I made cream cheese frosting for this one, but next time I would make a simple buttercream frosting instead.
Why? Because I am more of a buttercream girl, but my dad is more the cream cheese guy and the cake really was for him :)
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup sourdough starter, fed in the last 8 hours
- ⅔ cups coconut milk or regular milk
- 1¼ cup rapadura, coconut sugar or maple sugar
- 1 cup butter
- 1 Tbsp vanilla
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp allspice
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- 4 eggs
- 1½ tsp baking soda
- 2 cups carrots, shredded
- 1½ cups pineapple, chopped
- ½ cup raisins
- ½ cup chopped pecans or walnuts, preferable soaked & dehydrated
- 1 cup coconut flakes, plus more
- Mix together the sourdough starter, milk and flour. Cover and let it sour for 8-12 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350 F and grease two 8 or 9 inch cake pans or a 9×13 pan and set aside.
- In a different bowl, beat together sugar, butter, vanilla, cinnamon, allspice and nutmeg. Add eggs and continue to beat well.
- Combine the sourdough mixture with the wet batter and mix until smooth. Add in baking soda and stir.
- Gently fold in carrots, pineapple, raisins, chopped nuts and coconut flakes.
- Pour into prepared pans and bake for 30-45 minutes. Test with a toothpick in the center to see if it is done.
- Remove from the oven and let it cool completely before tipping them out.
- Whip up your choice of homemade frosting and frost the first cake, then put the second cake on top and frost.
- Cover the frosting with coconut flakes, if desired. You can toasted it beforehand for a nutty flavor.
Ready to eat it?