Savory Whole Wheat Dough
1 1/2 teaspoons yeast
3/4 cup warm water
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon gluten
2 cups whole wheat flour (hard red winter wheat, ground)
1/4 cup ground flax seed
1/8 teaspoon dehydrated garlic
3 spins of freshly milled black pepper
- Mix ingredients in a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook, or in a bowl with a sturdy wooden spoon.
- When thoroughly combined, allow machine to knead for 3-5 minutes, or knead by hand for same amount of time.
- Place dough in a covered oiled bowl to rise. While dough rising, make artichoke-spinach filling recipe, below.
- When dough has doubled in size, or a finger indentation remains, turn out onto a flour surface and roll into a 9×13 rectangle.
- Spread artichoke-spinach filling within 1/2 inch of edge. Roll dough up beginning with narrow edge.
- Using a sharp knife, cut slices approximately 1/2 to 3/4 inches thick. Lay on baking sheet lined with a silicone baking mat or parchment paper. Allow to rest 30 minutes if cool, 20 minutes if kitchen is warm.
- Bake at 350º for 20 minutes. Serve hot.
Adapted from Robbie Haf
3 cloves of garlic finely minced
1/2 of a small white onion, about 1/4 cup, minced
1/4 cup of unsalted butter
1/4 cup of whole wheat pastry flour (soft white winter wheat ground on pastry setting)
2 cups of heavy whipping cream
1/4 cup of chicken broth
3/4 cup shredded mixed Italian cheeses (Asiago, Parmesan, Provolone, etc.)
2 teaspoons lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
3/4 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
2 – 10 ounce boxes of chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed well
1-14 ounce can of artichoke hearts in water, drained and chopped
- Melt butter in sauce pan. Saute garlic and onion. Add flour to create a roux, and brown 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add heavy cream and broth. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Add cheese, lemon juice, Tabasco sauce, and salt. Remove from heat.
- Allow to cool approximately 5 minutes. Add spinach and artichokes, mixing thoroughly.
- Cool to room temperature. Set aside.