I remember my mom making this cake often when I was young and have longed to get to eat it again. I finally got my chance tonight when I recreated it! So delicious. I made mine a bit healthier but it is still not one that is so healthy you can eat the whole thing! Well you could, but with my luck I’d gain about 20 pounds.
I think this is a fairly simple recipe to follow. I have no clue where the original recipe came from, but this one was passed to me from my mother and made gluten free/process sugar free/dairy free by me!
- 2 cups gluten free flour blend(you can find my blend HERE)–I grind the brown rice and sorghum with my wondermill!
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1-1/2 cups finely ground demerara sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 3/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 cup all natural peanut butter(the one I use is just peanuts ground up, nothing added)
- 1 cup water warm
- 2 large farm fresh eggs, beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup buttermilk(now to be dairy free you take your dairy free milk, put 1 TB white vinegar in the bottom of the measuring cup and fill the rest of the way with your milk–I used coconut milk
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk(very easy to make your own with coconut milk)
- 1 cup finely ground demerara sugar
- 1 Tb coconut oil
- 1/2 cup chunky peanut butter(same thing just peanuts ground up with chunks this time)
- 1/2 cup dairy and gluten free mini marshmallows(found these in my local Hy-Vee)
- 1 tsp vanilla
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Mix the flour, soda, sugar, and salt together in a bowl and set aside.
In a saucepan bring applesauce, oil, peanut butter, and water to a boil.
Pour over the dry ingredients and mix well.
Add beaten eggs, vanilla, and buttermilk. Blend well.
Pour batter into a greased jelly roll pan.
Bake for 15-18 minutes or until center is set.
As soon as you remove the cake from the oven prepare the icing.
Combine the evaporated milk, sugar, and oil in a saucepan over medium heat.
Bring to a boil and cook there for 2 minutes stirring constantly.
Remove from heat and add the peanut butter and marshmallows.
Stir until they are all melted together.
Stir in the vanilla.
Pour and spread over the still warm cake.
Allow to cool. Eat right away or cover and save! I eat a piece as soon as it’s done and then save the rest for later!